Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Two Towers

"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."
                                               --J.R.R. Tolkien


Hello Again...I'm a little behind on my blog for this week, but yesterday was pretty crazy, in a good way. I added the poem above because I absolutely love it. This is one of my favorite parts of the books.


I really enjoyed the Two Towers more than first book, mostly because there was more action and less background information. However, I miss Rivendell and Elrond. Some of my favorite parts in the book have to be when Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli discover Gandalf is alive and has returned. I also enjoy Treebeard or Fangorn who is the embodiment of C.S. Lewis in the world of Middle-Earth.


There is one thing that I tended to notice more than anything in the book. The swords of the men held a lot of importance to them, especially Aragorn's sword Anduril. The section that mostly comes to mind is when the men of Rohan shouts that "Anduril fights again." It seemed to me that in that moment the sword struck more fear into the enemy than Aragorn did on his own. I could only imagine how great that sword must be if just the mere sight and name of it creates fear. That would certainly be a mighty weapon to wield.


The last section that really freaked me out, (becaues Gollum always freaks me out) is the whole section with Sam, Frodo and Smeagol/Gollum. There was one section that really surprised me, but I didn't really think about it as much until we started discussing it in class. It was the section where Frodo almost seems possessed by the Ring, he calls the ring "it" and gives it a power all of its own. He really becomes a frightening thing. It is that moment that you can see how the ring even effects Frodo.


For the most part I enjoyed this book more, but that is because of all the excitement and action that takes place in it. The description of Isenguard is fascinating to me and I love that Gandalf returns in this book.


Next week is the third and final book. The Return of the King. This will be the most difficult book for me to read, because I know how it ends and while I'm ready to finish it, I don't really want the adventure to ever end.


Until Friday.
XOXO,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment